2. How to Add SSL to your Custom Domain
Your custom domain is the subdomain of your website (domain). We create a new subdomain for your login page. A subdomain is a part of your domain but the changes/features on main domain do not get reflected on your subdomain automatically. All the feature of your domain and sub domain needs to be added one at a time respectively. In the same way, SSL on the main domain will not work for the subdomain. You need to activate SSL for the subdomain, In this case, Custom Domain to make sure your login Page is secure.
See, For example, This is our generic Login URL: https://app.callerdesk.io
You requested a Custom domain as (https://app.abc.com). (https://abc.com) is your main domain and you have SSL activated for it.
We created the custom domain as (http://app.abc.com). Since this is a subdomain, you need to activate the SSL to ensure your Client/Agent login is safe.
Here, the easy way to add the SSL to your sub-domain-
1. Go to CloudFlare (https://www.cloudflare.com/), log in to your dashboard. Now, add your site after clicking on the “Add Site” button in the page.
2. Once you added your site, the popup window will appear like this-
Click on “Next” button to continue the process.
3. It will redirect you to the plan, select one of the plan to add the SSL in your sub-domain. You can choose the FREE plan without having to pay anything.
4. Confirm the purchase, after clicking into the “Purchase” button.
5. DNS Query Result –
CloudFlare will scan your website completely and let you know about the missing records so that you can add them and complete the process to secure your website.
6. Change your nameserver from your current DNS provider. Your current DNS provider might be someone from whom you have purchased your domain name. For example Godaddy, NameCheap etc.
7. Once you have added the Nameserver, you can click on Recheck Nameservers button.
8. Once the Nameservers are added, you will see the Active mention on the CloudFlare Dashboard.
9. You can click on the name of the site and a settings panel will open up. Click on DNS menu on the top to open the DNS window.
10. Add the CNAME & it’s alias value and clicks on the “Add Record ” button.Once you follow the steps, your CNAME will get added like this-
11. Now, click on the Crypto option to the submenu and select “Full” in the SSL part. The current status of your “Universal SSL” will be “Initialising Certificate”.
12. And once your DNS record will be added then the status of “Universal SSL” will be changed to “Active Certificate”.